2007년 6월 1일 금요일

1984-#6


*Please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you. why is this passage meaningful? Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.

“The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it; moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard.” (page. 6)
When I read this passages, I was astounded. Telescreen is similar to television nowadays, which I turn on almost everytime when I have spare time. It is like a habitual act, so I often find myself sitting in front of the screen without thinking anything. I have never imagined that television could be used to watch us, instead of we watching it. I imagined how it would be if someone was watching over me eating, dressing up, taking shower, and sleeping. It is just horrible! I would feel like a prisoner who is sentenced to stay in the cell for whole life. While I was reading this book, I stayed away from television and had chance to think about what I was missing because of wasting time on watching TV. Instead of watching it, I tried to read more, something that was restricted in the society of the novel. Because of this shocking passage in the book, I was able to think about disadvantageous sides of development of machines. It had never occurred to me that they could be used AGAINST us!

댓글 없음: